Author Topic: New preview from Hooked Gamers  (Read 3074 times)

Martok

• View Profile
New preview from Hooked Gamers
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/oriental_empires/preview/article-1327.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I didn't see a whole lot of new info in the article, but there were 1-2 interesting tidbits. 

While I understand why the author compares the game to the Total War series, I disagree with his implication that it's OE's closest competitor.  I think the game is more closely related to the Civilization series than anything else (although the TW influences are obviously there as well). 

anguille

• Liu Bei
    • View Profile
Re: New preview from Hooked Gamers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
Nice find.

I think he's right when he says that Oriental Empires is very innovative while the Total War games haven't evolved much.

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
TW is a winning formula, they'd be stupid to change it.
Live in interesting times

anguille

• Liu Bei
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »
It is and i have them all. Still, Oriental Empires is a very innovative approach and i won't regret the fact that there won't be any loading times while waiting for the battles to launch.

mumei

• Strategy Games Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »
It is and i have them all. Still, Oriental Empires is a very innovative approach and i won't regret the fact that there won't be any loading times while waiting for the battles to launch.

You are indeed right, but as someone who have been playing TW since Rome, I have been disapointed by the latter titles, specifically Rome 2.. as in my humble opinion, after a lot of resources have been put to that game, only few improvement proved successful, while other streamlined features killed a lot of immersion, also the political and diplomatic system is more like a decoration rather than a deciding factor in gameplay, and isn't getting any attention.. this proves only that CA are not really holding onto the formula which made Rome, Medieval 2 a legend of games.. and they are more like streamlining their newer games while improving the graphics. personally my favourite TW game is Shogun 2, That is a masterpiece, I also really like how Koei's Nobunaga Ambition Sphere of influence seem to have much depth in it's gameplay though haven't played it yet as it is coming out in few days.

Now back to what brought us all here :) I would really love to know how diplomacy and politics works in Oriental Empires (how deep and effective it is), is it an important part of the gameplay? and as someone mentioned before me, will there be coalision? betrayals? how limited the dealing is with other tribes?
"The greatest victory is that which requires no battle" Sun Tzu.