Author Topic: What should the escape key do  (Read 5518 times)

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
What should the escape key do
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
At the moment we have the escape mapped to open the usual menu with load/save/settings/quit options on it. The testers have instead suggested making it a key for exiting screens. What do people prefer, and if the later, what's the most common key used to open the load/save/etc menu.

Please don't bother suggesting user definable, keys, I'm interesting in getting a good default control scheme.
Live in interesting times

easytarget

• Infinite Jest
    • View Profile
Re: What should the escape key do
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Agree with the testers on this one, the esc key should do what its name describes, escape from whatever current menu the user is in.
This space intentionally left blank.

Martok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
Is it possible to program the Escape key so that it will take you back to the main map screen, but then otherwise pull up the standard save/load/options/quit menu if you're already *on* the main map screen?  That would be ideal. 

dalapto

• If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
I tend to find in most of the games I play the escape key is the most common default key for opening a menu to access options/quit etc.
Personally, I do prefer escape key for options, but using it to close any screens present and then for options is more balanced.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

anguille

• Liu Bei
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:06:11 AM »
Is it possible to program the Escape key so that it will take you back to the main map screen, but then otherwise pull up the standard save/load/options/quit menu if you're already *on* the main map screen?  That would be ideal.
I really like the idea from Martok here if it is possible. Somehow, it's what we have on most games on android.

An other option would be the whay they did with "Birth of the Federation" back then...a right click and you have a wheel-menu that allows you to go to the different screens (research, etc), including the options/menu. Could be something to look at. "Imperium Romanum" and "Grand Ages:Rome" have a similar wheel too which i like very much.

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:40:49 AM »

Is that a common scheme in other games. Personally I never use hotkeys, so I don't really notice what other games do. Just worried that it might be confusing if Esc brings up the menu on the main map screen, but if you're in the diplomacy screen, it not only doesn't bring up the menu, it dumps you back to the map screen.
Live in interesting times

Martok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

Is that a common scheme in other games. Personally I never use hotkeys, so I don't really notice what other games do. Just worried that it might be confusing if Esc brings up the menu on the main map screen, but if you're in the diplomacy screen, it not only doesn't bring up the menu, it dumps you back to the map screen.

I know at least one of my games does it like that, although I couldn't tell you which one offhand.  I don't think you'd have to worry about it confusing folks, though.  Most people who are even remotely familiar with strategy games -- or even just PC games in general -- doesn't expect the Escape key to pull up the main menu unless they're already on the game's primary screen.  Anyone in OE's diplomacy or research screen won't expect to see the main menu appear when hitting Escape; indeed, I suspect they'd be quite surprised if the main menu *did* appear.   

pfa0219

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
esc is cool with me. kinda like rome total war did it would be good.