Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 33788 times)

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
Welcome
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
Welcome to the forums everyone. I'm the designer and programmer of Oriental Empires, and as we gear up towards our early access launch, I'm very excited to finally be able to discuss the game publicly. Feel free to post your thoughts and questions here.
Live in interesting times

Incoherencel

• View Profile
Re: Welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:46:19 AM »
Glad to see you guys have your own site and forums now! I've been following the game since the announcement in April and so I'm excited to get new information.

You've mentioned Early Access, any tentative estimate as to when you're planning to release for EA?

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:05:46 AM »
Thanks for being excited about the game Incoherencel. Basically the game will go into EA when we feel it's in a good enough state. Even though it's early access and some flaws may be forgiven, we still want the game to be good enough that players will enjoy playing it. I hope that won't be too long, but can't give any exact dates.

andy_dandy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
I'm very excited about this new take on what seems to be Civilization-like game mechanisms. Not too excited about China, would love to see this kind of game design located to ancient Mediterranean and Mesopotamia (that seems like a great opportunity for a future follow up of this game some day and for MODs), but game mechanisms and great gameplay counts the most + the ancient time period in general.

Count me in as hyper hyped from what I read about this game, and its features/mechanisms/design.

Some questions:

1) How many turns will the game cover from 1500 BC to 1500 AD?
2) Will there be slower paced settings incresing the number of turns, building times etc?
3) Will characters like Generals and Governors die from age or battles?
4) When mobilizing armies, will you have to produce the arms for them, do training for more Advanced units like Archers and Horsemen etc? I'm worried you can just mobilise and thats that, decreasing the need for military planning too much.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:31:08 PM by andy_dandy »

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
Hi andy_dandy

Maybe the game will inspire you read up a little on the history of China, then you'll learn how fascinating it is. Anyway the trouble with history is that there's a lot of it, so we have to start somewhere. Hopefully between sequels and mods we'll get a good chunk of it covered.

Aiming for 300 - 400 turns game length if you go all the way, with an option for shorter games decided on victory points. If a lot of players want a longer game we'll give them one, but as a developer I'm not very fond of adding these sorts of options pre-release, as they complicate testing and balancing.

Re recruitung, you'll be able to mobilize large numbers of levies and tribesmen, but will have much fewer units of trained soldiers or guards. Like other games, the type of units you can raise will depend on your technology, and the buildings in the settlement.

andy_dandy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
Sounds good Neutron.

I'm a huge history nerd, so I'll have fun leaving my Euro, North Africa, Asia Minor, Levant and Mesopotamia-centrism for a while and explore China. ;)

Also glad to hear there will be elite units, but they will be sparse and expensive (both to train, equip and upkeep I hope). Seems like a good approuch both realistically and gameplay wise. Smaller well trained/equiped standing armies and huger mobilised armies of farmers and mercenaries during wartime seems like the way to go. Also an interesting approuch that differs from the Sid Meyer Civilization design.

I'm also very excited about what seems to be a great focus on empire management in this game as well, and that there is not just a war focused game + it sounds like great multiplayer fun.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:45:53 PM by andy_dandy »

Martok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »
Hey everyone!  Longtime strategy-gamer here.  I'm an especially big fan of 4x titles and historical grand-strategy games, so it goes without saying that Oriental Empires is right in my wheelhouse.  8) 

I'm also a devotee of some of Neutron's previous work:  The original Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War remain two of my favorite games of all time (even if they weren't "his" games per se).  Likewise, I'm an enthusiastic fan of his more recent space 4x title Armada 2526 (a much under-appreciated gem in my opinion). 

Anyway, glad to be here!  :) 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:48:27 PM by Martok »

anguille

• Liu Bei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »
I am very happy about the game...day one release for me! Like Martok, big fan of Neutron's previous works, especially Armada 2526 (also, i bought the updated Medieval Total War on steam game so i can finally play it on my netbook). As i said somewhere else, China as been neglected in 4x gaming...this is just awesome. I expect to play this game for at least 10 years...so much to do and explore. Can't wait.  ;)

You can count on me for:

1. Feedback from day one
2. An AAR also from day one
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:35:53 PM by anguille »

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
Hello again Anguille

finebone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
Hi all!  Looking forward to watching this game develop.

I think eventually I'll try and build a big wall or something to keep my enemies out.

Wimpola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
Once I heard about this game I told a handful of my friends, we are fans of the total war series and Europa universalis 4. This game looks as if both games were combined. Have a massive map and be able to command your troops in battle is really key to games so this game has got itself a customer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:57:01 PM by Wimpola »

Martok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »
Hey fellas.  Good to see a couple familiar faces here! 

dalapto

• If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Greetings sirs and madams,

I'm looking forward to this game, and while I'm a little disappointed combat control is not exactly real-time, formations etc should suffice. Perhaps consider slightly more control in future sequels? (As I haven't seen or played the game I can't judge how fun combat is  :-X )

Anyways caution aside, let me ask many questions.

Will diplomacy be started by sending diplomats to factions or will it be real-time?

Will there be alliances, technology exchanges, annexation (region exchanges), vassals available in diplomatic options, trade embargoes etc?

Are there agents or characters (spies, assassins, etc) available to use in the campaign?
If yes, will you be able to develop skills and traits for them?

How is technology developed?

How far does the map span?

Can you trade with India, Japan, Korea and/or other areas outside of the map?

Are there scripted events? (such as Mongol Invasion, European Contact, Black Death, type events)

Can you individually modify tax levels per city?

What options are available to me upon capturing a city/region?

Are there loyalty and civil war mechanics?

Are there pirates and/or bandits?

And finally,

Is there Chinese music, which changes on a campaign to battle basis?

Best wishes to this game, I hope to enjoy it.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »
Hi Dalapto, welcome to the forums.

As a designer, I try to produce a cohesive game that plays well and has the features it needs, so please don't be disappointed because it doesn't have every feature of your other favorite games. I'm guessing from the questions that you're a Total War player, but please don't expect OE to be a direct competitor to TW games, it's a different style of game, and works in different ways.

To address a few of your points, the game has excellent Chinese music, with special custom written music for the battles. There will also be a full featured diplomacy system, and the game encourages making other players into vassals rather than outright conquest.

The map is pretty large ranging from the fringes of Siberia in the north down to the northern tip of Taiwan in the south. In the west it extends to the foothills of Tibet, and to the east to the edge of Manchuria. The initial release of the game focuses on China and her nomadic enemies to the north. Hopefully Tibet, Korea, Khmer etc will be added in expansions.

dalapto

• If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
As a designer, I try to produce a cohesive game that plays well and has the features it needs, so please don't be disappointed because it doesn't have every feature of your other favorite games. I'm guessing from the questions that you're a Total War player, but please don't expect OE to be a direct competitor to TW games, it's a different style of game, and works in different ways.

Sorry, about the interrogation, I've not played any Iceberg Games and this game seems similar to TW, so I'm excited and curious how close it is to TW, as my opinion of TW is that it isn't complex enough in terms of politics, building, diplomacy and economics.
However, don't worry, I don't want a carbon-copy of TW, old or new. This is more of a Civilization-Construction than Empire-Building, but has some elements of TW, which makes it more involved and vaired.

To address a few of your points, the game has excellent Chinese music, with special custom written music for the battles. There will also be a full featured diplomacy system, and the game encourages making other players into vassals rather than outright conquest.
I would love to hear the music, so when you're making trailer videos or walkthrough videos please have it audible in the background!
Glad to hear that vassals are a regular occurrence, conquest should be long and resistant to the conquerors, so Vassals make more sense to players and the AI.
With regards to Vassals, how much control will you have over them? I imagine you'll get some sort of income or tribute from them, but can you levy units from them etc?

The map is pretty large ranging from the fringes of Siberia in the north down to the northern tip of Taiwan in the south. In the west it extends to the foothills of Tibet, and to the east to the edge of Manchuria. The initial release of the game focuses on China and her nomadic enemies to the north. Hopefully Tibet, Korea, Khmer etc will be added in expansions.
Wow, that is massive and includes a variety of landscapes to build and fight on. Snow, desert, forest, jungles, etc. I'm curious to see the scale of the map.
I would love to see some elephants, and architecture similar to that of Angkor Wat, as it has been barely touched by strategy games.

I've had a look at the features page and that answered some questions so I probably should have done that first ;)
I also saw a small mistake, here http://www.orientalempires.com/Features.html
Play on a realistic map of China, a randomly generated map.
There is no "or on" in between ", a"

I have two more broad questions related to existing features:

"As your civilization develops, you must balance the demands of both nobles and peasants, against those of the central state. Raise taxes, regulate your army, and pass laws and regulations by issuing imperial edicts. But beware, annoy either group to much, and you will face disobedience or outright revolt."
What sort of laws and regulations can you pass, excluding taxes?
What does it mean by "disobedience"? Does this mean that taxes aren't paid and/or industry halts?

My last question (for now), is: Do you have any idea what sort of Minimum or Recommended System Specifications we need to run OE?

I am really excited about this game, and I'm expecting something more balanced and varied than Total War.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:43:59 AM by dalapto »
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.