Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 23132 times)

Weasel Words

• View Profile
Re: Welcome
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
Hi there, this game caught my eye by accident while I was looking for something else, drivers I think.  Kind of bored with a lot of games just now, basically same old same old and am looking for something fresh and different  Looks particularly interesting as I don't know a lot about the culture and era so I thought I'd check it out.

I'd like to ask the following.  Apart from the culture and setting what would you say are the features that distinguish this game?.  What is there that makes this game unique? in your opinion are their facets of this game that a player would not get anywhere else?

Also what would you say is the most striking or standout feature?

Thanks.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
Hi Weasel Words

I think the setting is a pretty big standout feature of the game, but apart from that there are two other standout features.

Firstly the way you can zoom right in, and really step into the game world. You can zoom right in and see your units, settlements etc at any time without having to go some separate screen. It really adds a layer of immersion that other strategy games lack.

Secondly there is way that the battles take place right on the main map, but are still large scale and detailed with hundreds or thousands of men involved, all individually animated.
Live in interesting times

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
@dalapto

If you have high levels of unrest in your settlements, you'll get reduced income (or none at all in the local nobles decide not to forward it to you), you won't be able to recruit some types of units, and there'll be an increased chance of defection to existing rebellions. If unrest is too high then a new rebellion might start.

Examples of edicts you can issue.
Forbid your peasants from carrying weapons. Reduces unrest among the peasants (well they're unhappy, but not so dangerous), and increases happiness of nobility, but reduces the amount of militia you can recruit as they'll need more training.

or

Standardize weights and measures. This produces temporary unrest as people hate change, but increases trade income.

Sorry don't have a min spec yet, but it's not going to be super high.

mumei

• Strategy Games Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:48 PM »
Hello everyone! I have just joined the forum as soon as I knew about the website from the TW Reddit :) I have been following this game since it's announcement and I am very excited about the prospects it holds and very much looking forward for the early access. I am a big fun of strategy and historical games and this entry looks promising on filling those fronts and covering a very intresting era.. I will finish by wishing you (Neutron) and all the developing team all the best in making this game a masterpiece and taking the strategy genre into the next level, and all your future projects and also thank you for communication with the forum members and providing information to them!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:55:52 PM by mumei »
"The greatest victory is that which requires no battle" Sun Tzu.

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »
Thanks Mumei.

theback

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
Hello there, first time posting. I just want to express my excitement and support for this game, it looks really interesting. I have always been a fan of history and recently Chinese history has begun to catch my eye, so this game is like a godsend (if it is any good).

I have a few questions however. In Civilization 5, which from the screenshots this game looks similar to to a degree, you have empire wide happiness/unhappiness. In the Total War games which I guess might be closer to your design philosophy, the stability in a city is local and depends on the conditions in that city. Which way will it work in Oriental Empires? Personally I hope for the latter as it makes much more sense.

Is there a limit to how many units can participate in a battle, and are there penalties for stacking large numbers of units in a tile (if stacking is at all possible)? The recent Europa Universalis 4 has "combat width" which limits the number of troops that can participate at any one time, the total war games have army sizes limited to about 20 units and civilization either allows or disallows stacking several units in a tile depending on the version. Can we expect any similar system here to avoid situations where overwhelming an opponent with sheer numbers becomes more important than tactics?

How will the game handle the cyclical nature of Chinese history, in that dynasties rose and fell? In a single game, will new dynasties or states "pop up" as the game progresses to rival the established states? Or is it more static as in civilization where the game starts with a set number of civs which does not change unless they are killed off?

And lastly, I wish you good luck working on this and I am looking forward to the release on early access.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:51:24 AM by theback »

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
Hi theback

Unrest is tracked at the settlement level in OE, and is also tracked separately for peasants and nobles. What makes one group happy, may not make the other happy, and they produce different effects and rebellion types.

Up to 8 units may be stacked in a hex in OE, and a battle may involve several stacks. Although all the battles are computer resolved, they play out like TW battles, so units do take up space, and quantity can only get you so much advantage over quality.

anguille

• Liu Bei
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
that's already a lot of great information. Are the 16 factions already known? Is it possible to play as the Mongols? That would be cool...if yes, do they play differentely? The great thing about Armada 2526 is that there are some factions that have to be played completely differentely. Cheers

badassaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:28 AM »
Hi,

When I first heard this game I am very excited as I am very interested in Chinese history which doesn't get much loving given its long and fascinating history. I am very pumped for this game and can't wait for early access.
I have many questions but here is some general ones:

Will historical people appear in game e.g Confucius, Sun Tzu, Qin Shi Huangdi, Yue Fei?

Will one be able to build wonders/big monuments to show your awesomeness as emperor such as Great Wall, Forbidden Palace, tomb of Qin?

Would the discovery of Chinese inventions such as  paper  or gunpowder be random or at a set time/date or they have to researched?

Can one choose/change/swap official religion eg Confuciusim to Buddhism?   

Will there be like court intrigue such as Eunuchs/officials being corrupt and having too much power, or issue of heir/succession or rivalry between factions in court? 

Family tree? princes? concubines? princesses?

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »
@badasaurus
The game doesn't feature historical people, as it's hard to fit them into a game covering such a long period. However, it's also well suited to making scenarios covering shorter periods of history where they'd make more sense, so I'd expect to see some of these as DLC or from modders. Famous inventions will occur when the player researches them. The base game paints a broad brush view of history, so while there are some named leaders, the focus isn't really on people or politics.

@Anguille
It's a historical game, so you can't expect the same sort of factional differences as in a sci-fi or fantasy game. You can play as a nomad faction though, which is a bit different to playing as a farming faction. Haven't decided what to do about the Mongols yet. They don't appear under that name until very late in the game, so would seem odd to have them as a starting faction. You can play their predecessors the Xiabei, and the later barbarian soldier models are very Mongol inspired.

anguille

• Liu Bei
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »
@Anguille
It's a historical game, so you can't expect the same sort of factional differences as in a sci-fi or fantasy game. You can play as a nomad faction though, which is a bit different to playing as a farming faction. Haven't decided what to do about the Mongols yet. They don't appear under that name until very late in the game, so would seem odd to have them as a starting faction. You can play their predecessors the Xiabei, and the later barbarian soldier models are very Mongol inspired.

Excellent! I have in Mongolia and always play them whenever i can in a game.

ShadInq

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »
The game doesn't feature historical people, as it's hard to fit them into a game covering such a long period. However, it's also well suited to making scenarios covering shorter periods of history where they'd make more sense, so I'd expect to see some of these as DLC or from modders. Famous inventions will occur when the player researches them. The base game paints a broad brush view of history, so while there are some named leaders, the focus isn't really on people or politics.
Does this mean the game will be modder-firendly? I can see a lot of people wanting a 3 kingdoms scenario, or a mongol scenario.

Will other "barbarian" cultures be in-game (Tibet, South china)?

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »
Hi ShadInq

Yes, we're very keen to make the game modder friendly.

The initial release includes several non Chinese peoples, but the map doesn't include Tibet or the far south of China. These will be added later.

ShadInq

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
Another question: how will the game unfold once you have set up as dominant power. Historically in that period was china was unified several times, only to break up to some civil war, or massive rebellion (Chu-Han fighting, 3 Kingdoms, South/North dynasties, Ten Kingdoms, Song-Jin).

So the question is: will there be some mechanics to counter steam rolling everyone, and anti-blobbing: coalitions, court control, rebellions for large states at without high tech or something along those lines.

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Yes the number of settlements you can control is limited by your authority and culture ratings. These improve over time, mostly via technology. So even if you're militarily dominant, you'll want to make defeated players your vassals, rather than just occupying their cities. Of course, them being vassals leaves the possibility that they will revolt later.