Author Topic: Adding Warring States Factions into Custom Games?  (Read 1402 times)

dogy_kane

• View Profile
Adding Warring States Factions into Custom Games?
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
Hiya

There are a number of factions that only appear in Warring States scenario, such as Wei and Zhao, but are unavailable in custom games. Is that possible to have them added into custom scenario?

I'm not a computer guru so I dont know how technically difficult it gonna be to make such a patch? Because I know the development team of this game is rather small so expecting any huge change of game-play would be impossible. If its not such a pain in the ass, it would be nice if we can see more factions, more scenarios become available in future updates, if there will be any future updates at all.

Also, as a Chinese player, I would say this game would become a lot more attractive to Chinese market if a 'Three Kingdoms Period' scenario is added alongside 'Warring States Period'. Because in oriental culture, 'Three Kingdoms Period' is far more famous and attractive to populace. U don't even need a new map or any new mechanism, all u need is just adding few more factions.

Thanks for ur attention

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Warring States Factions into Custom Games?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
Wei, Zhao, Qi and Yan are already available in custom games, just scroll down to the bottom of the list.

The minor factions aren't allowed, because I want to keep the list of factions to reasonable number as the game develops and more content gets added. If you could play any minor faction from any scenario, the list of allowed factions would become very long, and it'd be very difficult to make meaningful distinctions between them all, difficult to maintain distinct color schemes, and time consuming to scroll though the hundreds of options to find the one you want.

Thanks for the thoughts on a Three Kingdoms scenario. Interestingly, my main Chinese advisor advised against it, because of the existing games by Koei and others. I think it's a scenario that will ultimately end up in the game, but the game needs a deeper political system first to really capture that period.
Live in interesting times

Trorey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
While it would be cool what Kane is suggesting, I completely understand your point of view, Neutron. Are you planning of "promoting" any of the cooler minor faction to a major one in the future by any chance though?

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »
No particular plans no.

Once the game is opened for modding, then I'm sure modders will make many more factions available, and those who want a hundred factions to choose from will be able to have them.
Live in interesting times

dogy_kane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
On my second thought, probably a smart decision to avoid the Three Kingdoms period, considering Creative Assembly just announced 'Total War: Three Kingdoms' today.
Its a pretty crowded area already.

GameJutsu

• Richard C. Shaffer
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 05:21:01 AM »
On the subject of an RTK expansion, a few possible suggestions to archive for later, if I may?

Set the timing for after Dong Zhuo's death.  Major factions could always be...
Yuan (Yuan Shao in the North)
Cao (Cao Cao in the central plains)
Gongsun (Gongsun Zan in the northeast)
Jing (Liu Biao in Jingzhou)
Cheng (Yuan Shu in Yuzhou)
Han (Li Jue/Guo Si faction of Dong Zhuo's old colleagues in Changan)
Shu (Liu Yan and his son in Ba Shu)
5 Pecks (Zhang Lu in Hanzhong)
Wu (Sun Ce after he's taken control of the region and splintered from Yuan Shu)
Xu (Tao Qian in Xuzhou)
Shi (Shi Xie in the very south)

As well as the 'barbarian' forces of the Yue, Man, Xiongnu, Wuwan, Xianbei, which would work much as they currently do.

You could also include a second banditry faction called the "Yellow Turbans" that appear randomly and operate basically like really strong bandits.
If you really want to get hectic you could have multiple 'special' pop factions that operate independently in various areas.  Replace my proposed Sun-Wu faction with he Wu Coalition (Liu Yao, Wang Lang, Yan Baihu, etc.)
Liu Bei operates in the North and East areas, mainly.
Pirates operate in the south and east areas.
Sun Ce operates in the south-central areas and east.
Lu Bu operates in the central plains.

But that may be getting ahead of things.

But all just ruminating ideas for now, of course.  Set it too early and you've got the issue of large swaths of the map that won't have a starting faction.  Set it too late and you'll have large swaths already occupied by the same faction.