Author Topic: Combat Style  (Read 6208 times)

finebone

• View Profile
Combat Style
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
I was wondering how parts of the combat would work?

I see from one of the screenshots that it looks like there's a selected group and what looks like orders menus.  That makes me think the combat might be something like how the Total War series does it.

However, if this game is a combination of global map view plus tactical combat view map, depending on zoom level, I don't know how army placement or facing would come into this.

So I guess my main questions are:
1) Do I have direct control over units during a battle, or do I set orders then watch the battle unfold?
2) Do I set up formations during the game main turn, or is there a pre-battle setup screen?
3) If I'm attacked, rather than doing the attacking, is the setup any different?

Thanks!

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Style
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
Hi Finebone

Good to see you here.

To answer your question, you set up formations and orders for your units during your turn, then if there is a battle, it is automatically resolved by the computer. You can zoom in and watch it you want, or just fast forward through it if it's of no particular interest. There is no pre-battle phase, all the battles occur as the armies move and collide with each other. All orders are plotted and then executed simultaneously like in Armada, so unless you start very close together, whether or not there is a battle depends on both your, and the enemy's movements. There may also be several battles happening at the same time.

Live in interesting times

finebone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
To answer your question, you set up formations and orders for your units during your turn, then if there is a battle, it is automatically resolved by the computer.

Very good thank you.  I used to be a fan of direct control, but I've played a few games over the last few years that make me more of a fan of the logistical strategy and pre-planning of tactical combat, then letting the computer (aka: my field commanders) implement the actual combat.

badassaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
Hi,

I got general questions about battles

Will there be naval combat?

Will there be ambushes? can we  employ the classic Chinese "empty fort strategy" where the enemy is lured into entering a seemingly empty fort only to be ambushed?

Flanking? Cavalry charges ? hit and run skirmishing?

Can terrain be exploited such as using bottle necks where a smaller army can hold off a larger army? Will there be High ground where archers can rain death on low ground?

Powerful leaders strategists/heroes/ commanders?

will there be moral? can enemies be routed? 

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
Yes to all of the above, except that there are no forts.

Naval forces are supposed to in the game, but won't be in the first release.

Flechette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 06:00:04 AM »
I like this combat form. My only question is, will there be generals whose abilities affect the battle?

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »
Hi Flechette

Yes there are generals that boost an army's fighting power and morale. But you only have a few, so you need to use them wisely.

Flechette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 05:01:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to this. Just showed a friend of mine who loves all the old ROTK iterations this website. He's interested as well.

Duke Eligos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 04:47:16 AM »
Couple of questions:

- Will unit type (cavalry vs infantry for example) have differant speed on the campaign map?

- Can an army spread out by seending some troops to raid a territory to diminush its ressources (food in particular)?

- Will you be able to put formations and give orders to your armies on the march (to prevent ambush and such)? Or can you only give order in regard to battle?

- How will visibility work on the campaign map? Will you need some kind of scout, spy, etc.?

- How will supplies (food/water) be implemented in the game (if they are)?
HUITZILOPOCHTLI    god of war

Neutron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
Hi Duke Eligos, welcome to the forums

Yes cavalry and chariots can move faster on the campaign map.
Yes you can raid people's farms
Battle orders, formations etc are just set in your turn, not for a particular battle. Since all movement is simultaneous, you don't always know whether a battle is going to happen.
The map will need to be explored Civ style
There isn't currently any logistic system for armies.

Duke Eligos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 02:13:08 AM »
Ty for the answer Neutron. :)

Really sweet to see dev reply to people :) :)
HUITZILOPOCHTLI    god of war