Author Topic: CIV6 Killer but with issues ..  (Read 6791 times)

ArchaicWarrior

• View Profile
CIV6 Killer but with issues ..
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »
Congrats, we finally have a CIV / Total war type game, where you can just zoom right into a battle, with realistc troops.

But might i suggest you get rid of the Rome2 type tech tree, it was lame in Rome2 and looks the same here. Nothing more annoying than to hit end turn, only to have a message remind you "You've forgotten something" !! Far better just have random tech events based on your main characters skills, ie your main character is a sword master, he joins up with a metal smith master and greatly increases your chance of developing a new sword type. OR one of your spies steals sword tech from a foreign power ? Far more realistic, far less frustrating.

Glad you've split your populations between Nobles and commoners, historically accurate, But it's difficult to know why each is unhappy ? May i suggest simple mouse-over popup windows showing itemised details of why groups are unhappy etc ie "recent farm building angers peasants" ?

Neutron

• Administrator
  • Oriental Empires designer and programmer
    • View Profile
Re: CIV6 Killer but with issues ..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:10:57 PM »
Personally I quite like random tech developments, but the eight million people who bought Civ V seem to like conventional tech trees, and I've no doubt the game would be heavily criticized if people couldn't direct their researches, and anyway I don't think it's anywhere near as lame as Rome 2.  It's also the mechanism we use to include a lot of Chinese ideas about religion and philosophy, so it's thematic as well as mechanical.

There is a full list of the factors causing unrest on the settlement screen, but you have to press a button to access them. The advantages of this approach are you can then put tool tips on the various items, and it works well with touch screens. It also works with screen magnifiers, which most people don't care about, but I do.
Live in interesting times

ArchaicWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »
yes, you're probably correct about many people wanting a CIV like tech tree but in reality, Tech break throughs were exactly that = "happy surprises", not "lay-by" periodical payments. I think many would learn to like the random nature of advancements and not get irritated by constant "You've Forgotten something!!".  plus, most nations learned tech by acquiring it from foreigners, either through trading or stealing it - Rome being the best known ancient thief, they didn't waste their time on tech advancements. Nations who didn't make contact with others, usually had poor tech advancement.   "Happy surprises" could work well on any advancement, mech or not.

Another issue - "Bandits" or should that be "barbarians" ? Instead of them always being at war with player nations, how about an option to negotiate peaceful co-existence, or give them citizenship ? Rome basically had troops to conquer the world because of it's "citizenship or death" policy to neighbouring enemies - join us, give us troops, give us land OR we CRUSH YOU!! .. yes, adding politics would be a nice touch.

cherac

• View Profile
    • zrivy
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
I like the game. It won't be the next total war , neither would it beat civilization. One thing people don't know is , most total war fans hate CIV . Its common logic . I didn't like the idea of units moving after turn button is clicked . More blood and remember this is 2016 , the era GTA V and the like , I am very okay with the graphics , but the combat animation needs a lot of work before its released , that is the only thing stopping me from liking this game 100% . The units are quite similar so implementing some combat animations shouldn't be hard , I know its a small company but you must make an impact with this game . Take a game like Hegemony III and  Real warfare Northern Crusades , they both combined total war and something but ended up in the history books . So small things that look unnecessary like in depth combat animations, blood , arrow in corpses , go a long way . The secret is not trying to be total war and CIV , its trying to be Oriental Empires . I hope these things are taken into consideration . Also the forum's capture is too much , it makes stressful to post
"A bad peace is worse than war"

JefA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »
I don't think i agree with the most TW lovers don't like civ.  I and everyone in my ftF game group love both.. I have every civ save civ Rev and every TW up to warhammer and love both.  OE looks to be an interesting meld.
bothe civ (turn based) tw turn based and real with ability to stop and think aren't as far apart as you think.
Its RTS that i dont really like.. tho i have DoW and a few others

Stuie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
One thing people don't know is , most total war fans hate CIV .

That is amusing.  Just a quick look at my friends list on Steam shows 100% overlap of friends that play TW games and Civ.  Granted that's only 50 some people, but I think the fact that every single one of the TW players also plays Civ is indicative of just how wrong your comment is.

Also, Oriental Empires is kind of a Civ-like game focused on China; it bears very little resemblance to the Total War series.  The people expecting a Total War experience from this are going to be very disappointed.

ArchaicWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »

Also, Oriental Empires is kind of a Civ-like game focused on China; it bears very little resemblance to the Total War series.  The people expecting a Total War experience from this are going to be very disappointed.

And thank common sense for that! have you seen the Steam Player stats ? CIV5 stays in the top 10 .. continually while Creative (lol) Assemblies Total war series usually TANK after release promotion. Very little replayability in TW these days, unlike Med2 TW and it's mods. I tried to tell CA about creating a CIV like experience for Rome2 .. but their arrogance, or new corporate policy to target kids who want flashy graphics means any new TW will probably have little strategic depth. Steam player stats also shows Mount & Blade Warband now beating Warhammer ! lol An old quality game will always beat a new flashy boring game .. very quickly. Very sad about CA, they once produced quality strategic games, now owned by SEGA, they produce flashy kiddy games.

Flechette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 12:14:19 AM »
I think the TW series suffers from valuing eye-candy over AI. In comparison to the Civ series, the grand strategy in TW feels too funneled in the later games (conquer this for coin, do that for coin, etc.) and dealing with NP empires seems fragmentary and gamey. In Civ games, the NP empires seem to have fairly coherent and distinct strategies. What makes Civ fun for me is that when a Gandhi or a Montezuma double-crosses me or makes unreasonable demands, I take it personal.

On the previous points on the tech tree, yeah, I wish there was more a sense of not knowing what will come next or what to pursue. I, too, hate TWs overly simplistic tech tree and I know Civ 5's tech tree by heart. On the other hand, as long as the tech development is sensible and gives a sense of historical flavor, I don't mind too much. Really looking forward to both Oriental Empires AND Civ 6 :)

cherac

• View Profile
    • zrivy
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
You guys might be right , but seriously speaking , I don't like CIV , I'm a sucker for all strategy games  , but I also hate using my imagination to playout battles , I like to see them happen , not because some unit has more points than other , if storm troopers are fighting spearmen I want to see how it goes , thats why I love total war , mount and blade and hopefully oriental empires might join the list.
"A bad peace is worse than war"