Author Topic: Other strategy games  (Read 3339 times)

MaliceLoki

• View Profile
Other strategy games
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
What other strategy games would you suggest and if they have mods what mods should you put on them

Martok

• View Profile
Re: Other strategy games
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
Any preference for turn-based or real-time?  And what settings do you like -- medieval?  Greco-Roman?  Napoleonic?  Modern?  Space/sci-fi? 

dalapto

• If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
I would recommend,
For epic battles with simplistic yet enjoyable empire development try:
Shogun: Total War Gold Edition
Medieval: Total War Gold Edition
Rome: Total War Gold Edition (Good Mods are, Roma Surrectum II, Aristeia, Rise of Persia)
Medieval II: Total War Gold Edition (Good Mods are, Third Age Total War, Rise of Three Kingdoms, De Bello Mundi, Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent)
Total War: Shogun 2 Gold Edition (Good Mods are, Performance Overhaul Mod, Radious Unit Mods, Radious Campaign Mods, Darthmod)

The two best official Star Wars strategy games:
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Saga
Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (Good Mods are, Republic At War, Rise of the Mandalorians, Absolute Corruption Mod)

The Age of Empires Series are good historical builder/fighter RTS:
Age of Empires Gold Edition (Good Mods are, Userpatch)
Age of Empires II Gold Edition (Good Mods are, Age of Chivalry, Tales of Middle Earth, Userpatch, All Roads Lead to Rome, Rome At War)
Age of Mythology Gold Edition (Good Mods are, EPIC TEXTURES MOD, Age Of Mythology Unlimited Population and Build Mod)
Age of Empires III (Good Mods are, Felix Hermansson's Draugur AI)

Check them out. Plus they're all pretty old so they should run pretty fast on most PCs, and for me they are compatible on Windows 8.1.

Last, but not least try Armada 2526: Gold Edition, a space sim, made by the same developers who are making OE.
It is very cheap to buy, so if you don't like it you're not wasting much.
What it lacks in complexity and in-depth detail, is made up for with a good art style, great music, and fun inter-galactic civilization development with lots of unique and interesting races to talk, trade and fight against.
It has a massive and varied tech-tree, ranging from wormholes to battleships to psychic powers! It really is underrated in my opinion, and I can't stop playing it, so I'm even more looking forward to OE!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:29:21 PM by dalapto »
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Flechette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:00:20 AM »
Last night I played Civ V again for the first time in maybe a year. I can always get into a Civ game for some light empire building. Distant Worlds is great for 4X. The problem with both these games, however, is that I enjoy them up to mid-game and then I get bored.

Although it is an RPG as much as anything else, I like Mount & Blade Warband. There is a strategic layer to it once you establish yourself as a lord. For tactical play, I like the Combat Mission series. I was sad when they discontinued their operational tie-in some years ago, which would have made campaigning really fun. On the other hand, I read somewhere (Rock, Paper, Shotgun?) that some independent dev is working to design an operational layer to the Combat Mission's WW II games. Lastly, there is always the Hearts of Iron series for real time. I could never get the 3rd iteration to work properly without CTDs, but I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

pfa0219

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »
Civ 5 is perhaps not the deepest strategically game out there, but it is always fun.

If you are looking for a game like civ 5 but 10x the amount of strategy, choose eu 4. Choose ck2 for the more family/dynasty gameplay strategy.

And ofcourse you have total war. To newcomers i would suggest playing shogun 2 or rome 2, not so much the older ones. While i like rome 1 more than rome 2 (probably due to nostalgia), i feel like rome 2 has just so much more options and delivers the "new" style of total war, which will be used probably a lot for the upcoming total wars.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:12:37 PM by pfa0219 »

easytarget

• Infinite Jest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 02:50:11 AM »
OP,

Do you have any interest in WW2 tactical level simulations?
This space intentionally left blank.

Martok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Welcome aboard, 呉大帝:) 

Flechette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »
For any of you die-hard WW II strategy fans, Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa came out this week. I just picked it up today. Will give it a spin after work  :D

mhladnik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 02:35:24 PM »
I know I am enjoying Order of Battle a whole lot :)

Weasel Words

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »
Recently noticed a new WWII naval strategy game on Steam called Atlantic Fleet which focuses on the Battle of The Atlantic, has anybody tried it? is it any good?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.